Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Locked Up RAW

          I often watch shows on MSNBC that have to do with prison. Shows like “lockup” go into various prison around the country and show what goes on inside. So naturally, my view on imprisonment was tainted. After going through security, walking through multiple doors and staying on the colored path we arrived in the control room of the Orient Jail. Not much went on in there although it was great to see.
         What really got me interested was seeing the “pod”, pretty much a large room with a bunch of cells. I’ll use the term cells loosely for this room because they weren’t solid steel bars and toilets like I’m use to seeing on T.V. They had wooden doors, bunk beds, wooden desks and what looked like comfortable porcelains.  I later learned that this type of pod is used for people either waiting for a court date or who have a “low-risk level”.  As I’m standing there surrounded by my peers, I couldn’t help but look around to the cells and see the inmates watching us.
         As I was standing there looking at these inmates behind their doors, I wondered what they were in for and what was going through their head.  I imagined myself behind the door and looking out and wondered what I would be thinking about….but I digress.
         Afterward walking through booking--where the inmates weren’t behind bars-- we headed to the records office. For the most part, I already knew from my previous visit what public records I can get.
         What I did learn was that all the video footage in the jail and the dui drunk tank is public record, as long as it’s not an open investigation.  One of the offices made sure to make a point of mentioning that video footage doesn’t always tell the whole story. It goes back to being a good reporter and getting every side of a story.
          All and All I’m glad I haven’t had to look at 40 college kids behind a wooden door and hopefully I never will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment